Friday, January 19, 2007

Welcome and Welcome Again

Hi!

My name is Jenn, I'm a freelance writer and poet who lives in Columbus, Ohio. This is a blog about what is best and worst in the graphic novel/sequential art genre. Many, many years ago I stopped collecting comics and graphic novels, because, well, I'm a touch O.C.D. and didn't want to bankrupt myself. Time went on, I started publishing critiques and lead articles in the now defunct dialogue Magazine, a Midwestern arts journal. My beat was "alternative artistic media and outsider art." After some time I got tired of interviewing artists who's works were inspired by visits from Jesus and asking questions like "So, do you paint with your own blood and semen or do you collect specimens from other sources?"

Can you blame me?

In reality it was a good gig. I had the opportunity to write some bitchen articles on aerosol art and tattooing that were received well. But I also had my head screwed on sideways and decided to take some time off from writing and revisit the world of the sane.

Now I'm back. Six years later, here I am and I made the mistake of wandering into a comic shop at Christmas looking for a "V" action figure for my husband. I had no luck on the "V" front but saw some wickedly cool new titles and just like that, I was sucked back into the world of geekdom, of which, I am apparently queen.

So, for your edification, I will endeavor to review titles that I pick up and give you some clue as to what's new, what's great, what's classic and what is better off left on the shelf.

Peace.
Jenn

No comments: